Thursday 7 August 2008

Slight Hiccup...

My midwife was a little concerned at my antenatal check-up today, as I had proteinuria and high blood pressure - both classical indicators for pre-eclampsia. She sent me up to the hospital, where I spent a good few hours having just about every monitoring test under the sun.

I've been sent home again, but the doctors there think I might be developing pre-eclampsia. Nothing definite yet, but there are slightly elevated markers in my blood and elsewhere that suggest it may be a problem. As a result, I have to return to the Day Assessment Unit on Saturday afternoon for further tests, and if the problem's worsened I've been warned they may need to consider induction. I'm keen to avoid medical induction as I'm aware it can lead to a cascade of intervention, but if it's a choice between that or endangering the health of the baby (and myself!), then I'll go along with whatever they recommend.

On the bright side...the little laddie's happy in there, positioned perfectly, engaging well and has a lovely strong heartbeat. Now if only he'd stop sticking his little feet up under my ribs and mooning his daddy...

No comments: