Saturday 9 August 2008

The Best Laid Plans

Since the start of my pregnancy, I've been hoping and planning for a low-intervention birth - preferably using a birthing pool, in the midwife-led area of our local hospital. I'd possibly have gone for a home birth if not for the fact that we can't fit a pool into our already-overstuffed flat!

Apart from relatively small hiccups such as SPD (painful but not actually dangerous), a second-trimester water infection and so on, I've had a very healthy, 'textbook' pregnancy and have been under the supervision of the Community Midwifery Team here in Edinburgh. I've been classed as a low-risk pregnancy, so everything seemed on-target for my planned setting.

Today we spent a number of hours at the hospital, having a rerun of all the tests and monitoring I went through on Thursday. My blood pressure isn't a major concern and the proteinuria seems to have reduced a little - however, the results of some bloody tests are apparently a tad worrying, as they seem to indicate that parts of my system (e.g. my kidneys) are under pressure. Because of this, I have to go back on Monday morning for yet more tests and a membrane sweep, as The Powers That Be(tm) now wish to speed things along a little.

Additionally I'm now classed as an 'intermediate-risk' pregnancy, which may mean a change in my plans for a low-intervention, natural birth. Thankfully the baby's absolutely fine - a big, strong-hearted, healthy sweetheart - so they're not worried about him. The concern at this point seems to be about the pregnancy's effects on my health, and obviously if that goes downhill then it can potentially impact on the little one. The idea of anything unpleasant happening to my little wriggler scares me far more than being personally ill.

I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now. To get to this point in my pregnancy, having had such a wonderfully healthy and positive experience, only to have this spanner thrown in the works at the last moment...well, I'm irked to say the least. I know that nobody knows how a birth will go until it's actually happening - birth plans aren't written in stone! - but I'm still a little annoyed with my body for threatening to complicate things at the last minute. The last thing I want is an over-medicalised, over-monitored birth where I can't move around and follow my own instincts - not least because that's more likely to cause my pain responses to go doolally!

At this point, I'm just going to have to take things as they come, I think. Though I have certain ideas on how I'd ideally like to birth my son, the end goal is to have both of us happy and healthy at the end of it. When it comes down to it, if certain things are needed to ensure that outcome then I'll deal with them at the time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

*hugs* I will keep you in all my thoughts and prayers that you can still have the natural birth you want.

I am glad the little one is still doing well and nothing is affecting him.

Unless I misread it sounds like some of the tests results are better then on Thursday, so maybe that will happen again on Monday. I will send positive thoughts and energy your way.

Anonymous said...

You need to put your feet up and rest as much as possible. I'll do my best to keep the intervention to the minimum.

Anonymous said...

I was the same as you when expecting Thomas, my BP raised rather significantly in the last week and I was hospitalised the day after his due date. As it didn't lower I was medically induced, it went totally against what I had planned, wanted, dreamed of, but it was a case of keeping both me and my bub healthy and safe.

Having been in the position of a forced induction they are not ideal and you are limited to movement... but you know well enough Gill, just because they have an IV line in your arm doesn't stop you doing the tango with it around the room ;)

Induced labours do tend to have the major advantage of keeping your actual labour time short as they can control contractions with the drugs (again not ideal in the world of wanting things done naturally) but could be of benefit if your body goes "doolally" with it's pain receptors.

This time round I would like the same, as little medical intervention as possible, however I am a little more relaxed around the necessities that may have to take place to get my son into the outside world :)

Sending you, Matt and that gorgeous bub lots of love and huggles.

Auntie Clare
xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Scrap the above post.

May I be the first to congratulate you, Matt and baby Cian on his safe arrival today!

Many years of happiness and health to you all. Can't wait to come snuggle him!!!!!

love Auntie Clare xxx