Tuesday 5 August 2008

Sing It, Frankie!

I'm a regular poster to two mum-friendly forums - a discussion group on Facebook and one on Babycentre, both of which have been an incredible source of support and encouragement for me during my pregnancy. Understandably, all the women in my August 08 birth group on BC are feeling a little exhausted and eager to give birth now, and we'd been having a discussion on the more undignified aspects of expectant motherhood - some of them have had a pretty bad time with gripes and symptoms. So...I wrote a little ditty to the tune of "My Way" to cheer them up, and it seemed to do the trick to a large extent. I'm posting it here for posterity, and in the hopes of cheering up any other expectant mums who feel like their pregnancy is going to go on FOREVER.

My Way - The August 2008 Birth Remix

And now, the end is near
And so I face, my coming due date
My friend, I'll say it clear
There have been bits, to love and to hate

My tum and bum got big
So much, they'd take up half the highway
But me....expectant mum...
I did it my way

Symptoms, I've had a few
And some are way too rude to mention
There were the burps, and then the piles
Thank god for NHS exemption

I felt each little kick
Along my intestinal byway
And me...expectant mum
I did it my way

And now, close to the end
I want to meet my little fighter
I need my newborn snugs
With my aspiring ankle biter

Who knows what labour brings?
No point in acting in a shy way...
But more, I know one thing
I'll do it myyyyyyy wayyyyyyy.....

(With huge, ashamed apologies to Frank Sinatra, who's probably rolling in his grave...)

1 comment:

Janet said...

Oh, Gill, I've got tears in my eyes after reading that! It's funny and beautiful and inspiring, and I've still got over 5 months to go, but when I near the end, I think I'll have to pull that up and read it again. And maybe sing it at the top of my lungs :)